Sunday, May 22, 2005

Clinton Acknowledges Woo-Woo

In the news!

In the paperback edition of 'My Life,' former President Clinton acknowledges that his memoir may have been too long, recounts some friendly faces from his book tour and some odder ones sighted under the influence of anesthesia as he underwent heart surgery last September.

'At first I saw a series of dark faces, like death masks, flying toward me and being crushed,' writes Clinton, whose book comes out May 31 in both trade and mass market paperback. 'Then I saw circles of light with the faces of Hillary, Chelsea, and others I cared about flying toward me, then away into a bright, sun-like source.'

When Clinton regained consciousness after surgery, he 'waved to people, said I was all right, and laughed.' At least, that's what his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, told him. The former president himself doesn't remember."


I don't expect a lot of interesting stories coming out about this, but I would love to sit around the ol' cracker barrel with Mister Clinton and talk near-death experiences. Isn't it interesting that they automatically had to include the phrase under the influence of anesthesia?

The drugs did it.

No, I don't know if that was Clinton's statement or if it was some doctor telling him "It was just the drugs, Bill."

One giuy whose had an amazing near-death experience is journalist David Beckman who spoke at a Seattle IANDS mmeting I attended. He told me that one of thre major reasons why NDEs are not reported is that one of the tenets of journalism is confirmation of a story. You need two sources to confirm a story. Obviously, it gets very tricky to do any confirmation on an entirely subjective experience.

But the author of the story on Clinton, Hillel Italie of the Associated Press, had no problem blaming Clinton's visions on the drugs. Yet who can confirm that?

If it's drugs, there sure are a lot of experiencers who are having awesome hallucinations!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home