Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Giant Lizards

I don’t like to put much energy into conspiracy theories. I don’t like swimming in negativity. So I don’t get too excited in a deathly shuddering way over conspiracy theories about alien reptilian races enslaving humanity.

Some people think that George Bush and most of his merry men and women in the ruling elite are humans who’ve been bred with naughty alien reptilians. They’ve got “bad guy” in their blood and want to turn us all into Wal-Mart workers (well, kinda.)

To me this is woo-wooier than near-death experiences and out-of-body experiences. Yet while I don’t see the big picture that the conspiracy theorists do, I don’t dismiss it all out of hand. I play a game of “what if?” with it.

For years I have watched at the media culture and noticed that you have to be pretty selective to find anything emotionally healthy on TV. So much of our entertainment and infotainment is aimed at stirring up emotional roller coasters. Part of that is built into the formula for creating high ratings.

While it stretches my imagination to think that some giant lizard from another planet is controlling our media diet, it does seem that there is an artificial dumbing down going on. And whatever its ancestral origin may be, the dark media cloud ever hovers over our cable TV systems.

Does corporate control over the national if not global mind set have any purpose beyond breeding customer loyalty for higher profit yield?

I have found that I am a much happier soul if I don’t watch mind-numbing TV, don’t eat junk food, and don’t participate in gossiping and bickering with anybody if I can get away with it. It’s as if the weather above my head clears from the storms of chaos when I mind my mental diet.

I have found that if I go into a place like Blockbuster or Safeway and get the usual “did you find everything you were looking for?” drill I feel a lot more like an object than a person. I also pity the person whose paycheck depends on him or her talking like a robot.

No wonder we are finding it easier to get more irate with people. At an astonishing rate we are becoming much less human toward one another and much more robotic.

Is this part of some diabolical Master Plan? Can Mighty Mouse save the day?

Politics is another big area of conflict and strife in our world. The political machine seems diabolically incapable of handling so many of our world problems. If George Bush really did legitimately win the last election--without the help of rigged voting machines and whatever else—then I deeply wonder why. It almost seems logical that giant lizards are running things if the current state of US affairs is anybody’s true idea of national greatness.

I have a pet theory that had many applications. It is that one company or organization can control both sides of an issue. For instance, if you were running Fox News, you could make a whole bunch of money preaching to the choir as your spewed spittle at the enemy, which in this case would be liberals. Then you could make another fortune under a wholly owned subsidiary by attacking your Fox News. You could sell a zillion pamphlets, books, air time, whatever, doing the anti-Fox campaign.

I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that something like that was actually going on, selling the illusion of the fight between the political factions when actually the whole show was being run by one smoke-and-mirrors entity behind the curtain. I came to that conclusion the first time I heard the pro-liberal radio station and found that it sounded way too much like the right-wing rhetoric. It all made me nauseous.

So even if I don’t believe in giant lizards (yet), the issues that the conspiracy theorists bring up about how our society shows its lack side nonetheless fascinate me. That for me is the stuff to watch.

If we don’t have a good health care system, is it because the giant lizards won’t let us have one? Or is it just that we let the corporate entities create the current mess? Whether it’s a giant lizard or a gargantuan corporation, we still have the mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home